Sunday, May 13, 2012

Songs for Mom

Kanye West - "Hey Mama"

I already made up for 25 years of free room and board and a free college education by serving my mother brunch this morning, but I wanted to do something extra this year for Mother's Day, so I thought I'd put up my favorite songs about mothers on the ole blog. Your welcome, Mom!

At the risk of turning people away, I put Kanye West first because I really think this is a beautiful song. The guy's talented, and he clearly loved his mother. Her death was no excuse for him to lose his damn mind, but I can only imagine how devastating it must have been. As a (semi)fan, it was heartbreaking to hear about his mother's early death after listening to the passion and love he showed in this song. At least she got to hear it before she passed.

Pink Floyd - "Mother"

Don't try to draw any conclusions about my decision to include a song about a drug addict's relationship with his overprotective mother. It is in no way representative of me and my mother. I just like the song, all right??

Rolling Stones - "Mother's Little Helper"

I'm really not trying to imply anything with my selections. These are just songs I like, I swear.

The Dogs - "Your Mama's on Crack Rock"

Ok, this one is a call for help.

Ghostface Killah featuring Mary J. Blige - "All That I Got Is You"

Two artists at their peak; an instant classic that has aged beautifully. I also love the fact that a guy named "Killah" made one of the sweetest, most sincere rap songs ever.

Now would be a good time to let you know that there will be no Tupac on this list. I hate that damn song, and I hate how a convicted rapist gets all this credit for making an uplifting rap song about women when he spent much more time making songs like this that perpetuated negative stereotypes about young black males and rap music. At least that was a good song, though.

The Beatles - "Mother Nature's Son"

One for the Eternal Mother. Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo.

Norman Blake - "You Are My Sunshine" From The O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack

One for my mother :-)

Goodie Mob - "Guess Who?"

There was a time when Cee-Lo was more than just the oval-shaped, small-handed cartoon character judging amateur singing talent shows next to a fat Christina Aguilera that he is now. He was once a part of the legendary southern rap group Goodie Mob, and this song is dedicated to their mothers (and/or the women who raised them). Now, these dudes are real southern and its their first album, so the accents and slang are a little difficult sometimes. I recommend looking at the lyrics; they show real, deep emotion towards women at a time when the most popular rap artists were not showing any love to these "hoes". 

So that's about it. I hope you enjoyed the songs. To all the mothers, I hope you enjoyed your day. I just want you all to know that we love you and you are apprecia...damn you Tupac! Now that's stuck in my head.

I Love You All (Especially the Mothers...Especially My Mother)...Class Dismissed.

No comments: